My Blog List

Monday, June 8, 2009

Family History


These are all works in progress!! Hopefully Jessamine will give me some pointers and advice! I may have tried to shove too much into this one. I'm going home this weekend and have many plans to get some research/photos done/taken.  I'm on fire about this stuff :-) 


The boy's name Phillip \ph(il)-lip\ is a variant of Philip (Greek), and the meaning of Phillip is "horse lover".



I have to include this baby somewhere!!



My grandparents both worked as tailors in Latvia and then later when they came to South Africa. Somehow I have to add this machine to one of my scrapbook pages. Sadly I know very little about them but what I know I wish to convey. Coming from Latvia their names were different and were anglisized when they came to South Africa. Phillip must have liked horses, this is not just a pretty picture. He bred and sold them in addition to his tailor work. I will add a "name meaning" as Phillip means lover of horses! 
His son Solly would later also love horses. 


I found some lovely old envelopes from Latvia on the internet (Weird the things you can find there!!) I was looking for any trace of the ship they arrived on, the Toledo. No results there. Yet :-)  My biggest challenge is that the few photos I have to work with are pretty ancient. How do I make black & white interesting?!? I only have two of this grandfather. None of my other grandfather!! Grrr.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Oliveberri. It was very nice to know more about your grandparents. Love, Raquel