My Blog List

Sunday, June 14, 2009

Lalibela Game Farm

These lovely stained glass windows, by David Manning, are at Nanaga Farm stall on the way to Grahmstown. They also have delious meaty pies there, we had the venison.




This weekend my family spent a couple of days at a game farm in the Eastern Cape; South Africa called Lalibela. We all love wildlife and had a fabulous time even though it was really short. Dozens of these places seem to have sprung up and you can even see the animals from the road if you are lucky. These are some of the few pictures I managed to take. You can find much better pictures anywhere I'm sure!!!

A lot of the art works are not local, except for the beautiful and intricate Xhosa beadwork, but it was still lekker.


african bull elephant


Mother and 2 year old calf.









This mother was doing a doing a 120km dash after her prey when we spoted her. We tried to do the same to get closer. I can only assume the ranger knew what he was doing though I would not have ventured so close. I would very much like to but for her sake I would not. She missed and lay panting while we took photos of her in all her regal splendor. She had two hugry cubs waiting for her. They apparently had had 4 other siblings that the few local lions had made lunch of. I prefer the graceful Cheetah, to lions.






I loved our room, it was warm and spacious. The shower was huge. I adore a ceilingless room, it feels so light and airy. The finishings seemed to be a bit Zanzibar more than local African but that was cool.







The previous day's rain created beautiful cloud formations. There was lightning too but I could not capture that.






Warthogs! Plentiful but ever cute!

No comments: